Problem fetching wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms images

Ken Lord kenlord at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 20 18:12:02 EST 2005

Hi Luca,

I use a layer or two from that server and have had problems too
lately. The Landsat layer works, but not every time.

I get the same error message sometimes when it fails. I'd assume its a
problem on nasa's end.

I would like to know if there's some way to make mapserver handle
these problems more gracefully.  Shouldn't it just not display that
layer if its not available instead of disrupting the generation of the
map entirely and crashing the website?  And why is it displaying an
EPPL error when we aren't requesting EPPL files?  ... The same error
appears if you request an image using a projection that is not
available from the source server which doesn't make sense to me
either.

Also, NASA if you are reading this ... The global landsat layer has a
datum problem.  It appears to be epsg 4269 mis-defined as epsq 4326,
it consistantly is offset ~200m north and ~20m west of where it should
be.

I've had similar problems with an earthquake layer from
http://cubeserv.mapwerks.com/cubeserv.cgi?  but when that layer fails
a error message from cubeserv becomes part of the image ... again
disrupting the rest of the map generation, but at least it doesnt
crash my webpage.

Cheers,
Ken Lord
Vancouver BC