Projection Issues

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Tue Mar 29 16:11:22 EST 2005

Bill -

You have no CLASS definition to describe the rendering style to be used
for your "Pinellas Roads" layer.  Add one, similar to the way you did
for the county outline layer - obviously, there's no OUTLINECOLOR
needed, and make sure you choose a color that's different than the
county polygon fill color!

        - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
ed at topozone.com
(978) 251-4242

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Binko [mailto:bill at binko.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 2:49 PM
To: Ed McNierney
Cc: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: RE: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Projection Issues

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Ed McNierney wrote:

> Bill -
>
> Those all look reasonable - good job!  Those SRID codes are EPSG
> projection codes, and you can use them directly as:
>
> PROJECTION
>       "init=epsg:26759"
> END
>
> which will save you a lot of typing and some typos!  It also makes it
> obvious to the reader what projection it is (or at least easy for the
> reader to look up).
>
> Could you post your entire MAP file?  Since your output is in the
> state plane projection, your EXTENT needs to be specified in that
> projection and units.  I would recommend that you start with a map
> file with the county PROJECTION block at the MAP level and one layer
> with the county data, also with the same PROJECTION block.  Get that
> working correctly, the add the second layer with the UTM PROJECTION
block.

Ed,
I took your advice and and replaced the projections with the espg codes.

I also simplified the map file to just have two layers: both shapefile,
not PostGIS.  However, I am still having the same problem: I only see
the county data when I put both in the file.

I've included the reduced map file below, and I've sent a copy of the
data to Paul to see if he can help.  Is there a standard way to
distribute layer files for review on this board?  Or should I post a URL
or the like?

Thanks for your time,
Bill

MAP
    NAME SINKHOLE
    STATUS ON
    SIZE 800 500
    IMAGETYPE PNG
    IMAGECOLOR 240 240  255
    SHAPEPATH "/var/www/binko.net/maps/data/"
    UNITS METERS
        EXTENT 57968.750000 1189453.125000 464218.750000 1443359.375000
        PROJECTION
                "init=epsg:26759"
        END
    WEB
        TEMPLATE "/var/www/binko.net/maps/template1.html"
        IMAGEPATH "/var/www/binko.net/maps/tmp/"
        IMAGEURL "/maps/tmp/"
                LOG "/var/www/binko.net/maps/error.log"
    END
        SCALEBAR