OGR connection for LINUX

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 4 10:35:43 EDT 2005

On 5/4/05, joÿffffffffffe3o Antunes <bluetuna_goes_skying at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Now the challenge is: I am transfering this system to LINUX environment and
> as far as could get so far I still have to use an ODBC connection... is this
> true? I mean beeing in LINUX environment souldn't I be able to make a direct
> connection between mapserver an MySQL without having to use a windows native
> technology?
>
> I am afraid I might be making things more complex than they could be..
>
> thanks in advance for any tips.

Joao,

On Linux (or windows for that matter) you can access MySQL either
via ODBC or via a direct MySQL connection depending on how your
package is built.  The direct MySQL driver is minimally documented at:

  http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_mysql.html

I find it easier to build OGR directly against MySQL and use that
instead of ODBC on Linux where ODBC can be pretty hairy.

Note that in your example you were using a shapefile.  That
configuration should work fine on Linux too.

Best regards,