OGR connection for LINUX

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 4 12:03:22 EDT 2005

On 5/4/05, Bart van den Eijnden <BEN at syncera-itsolutions.nl> wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> this thread reminded me of a question I wanted to ask, is there a similar way to connect to DBF files with additional attribute information using OGR? Which works both on Windows and Linux? Or would that require a new driver?

Bart,

OGR's Shapefile driver already supports accessing "bare" .dbf
files with no .shp or .shx file.  So the shapefile driver is a "free"
dbf driver as well. Though limited to the relatively old and simple
style of .dbf normally used with shapefiles.

DBF files can be access directly by name or as a directory.

You can also access DBF files via ODBC of course.

Best regards,