Using Mapserver to generate google like tiles

Paul Ramsey pramsey at REFRACTIONS.NET
Thu May 5 13:58:03 EDT 2005

I think there is a more elegant solution to the "google maps speedup"
problem:

- The reason google maps is "fast" is because (a) they restrict
themselves to fixes scales in their UI and (b) they load in the map in
parallel chunks of 128x128 size.

So the answer:

- Write a google maps style client that forces a limited number of fixed
scales, and always generates tiled WMS requests using the same
coordinates for each tile.
- Place a caching proxy between your Mapserver and the world, and tell
your client to always make requests to the caching proxy.

Most of the work is doing the fancy google maps style javascript client.

Paul