line thickness with circle

Lowell Filak lfilak at MEDINACO.ORG
Mon May 9 10:05:21 EDT 2005

The following message was sent by gerard barrington
<gerard_b_18 at HOTMAIL.COM> on Mon, 9 May 2005 11:20:08 -0230.

> Dear list,
>
> I am having a problem getting my line thickness adjusted to any size other
> thanone pixel.
> In my symbol file, I have the following symbol:
>
>   SYMBOL
>         NAME 'circle'
>         TYPE ELLIPSE
>         FILLED TRUE
>         POINTS
>                 1 1
>         END
>   END
>
> and in my map file I have a shapefile of type line that references this
> symbol:
>
> LAYER
>         NAME "layer"
>         TYPE LINE
>         TILEINDEX "C:\layer.shp"
>         STATUS ON
>         CLASS
>                 STYLE
>                         SYMBOL circle
>                         SIZE 9
>                 END
>         END
> END
>
> However, this gives me this error:
>
> getSymbol(): Symbol definition error. Parsing error near
(circle):(line 56)

> Commenting out "SYMBOL circle" displays a single pixel line
>
> Thanks for any advice,

Gerard,

Could it be a parsing error somewhere above the 'circle' definition
(line 56 points to several symbols above) OR is 'circle' a reserved name?
What if you change the symbol name or move the definition to the top?

Lowell