Python MapScript module cannot be found?

Bas Vanmeulebrouk bvanmeul at EBE.UCT.AC.ZA
Tue May 10 05:42:52 EDT 2005

Hello Emil,

I had the same problem, but then with Python Mapscript and an Apache
webserver. I have posted about it on this list. The problem is probably
caused by some environment variables which are not recognized by your
webserver (path and/or pythonpath). I have solved the problem by copying the
mapscript.py and _mapscript.pyd to a directory which contains other Python
modules of which I am sure they are running correct (<python install
dir>/Lib. I haven't had the time to look into a better solution yet.

Kind regards,

Bas Vanmeulebrouk.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Emil Zegers
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 9:51 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Python MapScript module cannot be found?

Hello,

I'm trying to use Python MapScript.

I have installed the Windows binaries supplied by Howard
(mapscript-4.5.win32-py2.3-full.exe from 9-5-2005) on a Windows XP Pro (IIS
5.1) system with Python 2.3.5.

Python scripts do run under IIS but when trying to access the Python
Mapscript module I get the following error:

  File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\mapscript.py", line 4, in ?
    import _mapscript

The problem seems to be in the 'import _mapscript' part. The file
_mapscript.pyd is located in C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\, together with
mapscript.py and other files.

What can be the reason for not finding the module?

As test I've tried renaming the file (to _mapscript.dll and _mapscript)
without succes.

The files in C:\Python23 and ub folders are given the needed Windows IUSR
rights.

Regards,

Emil