map files for tiger line data

Mon May 16 15:13:35 EDT 2005

Ryan,

Thank you for the comments on my maps. You might be interested in
looking at http://imaptools.com/~woodbri/ which is a new interface I am
working on that has multiple map styles that you can switch on the fly.
I have been adding more styles as I have time. I am happy to help people
when if they get stuck on any specific rendering issues. Just post to
the list.

99% of the data is extracted from the Tigerline files. I have a few
miscellaneous data layers that I have collected elsewhere as downloads like:

Canada and Mexico reference layers, placenames data layer, zipcode
polygons (you can get then from the census site). There might be one or
two other layers, but 99% is just the Tigerline data converted to
shapefiles. For some of the data layers I have post processed the data,
like for highways I scan the road names can extract route type and
number and populate attributes to make rendering easier. You can do this
with Perl or PHP mapscript and some regular expressions.

-Steve
  http:/imaptools.com/