Display progress bar while waiting for data

Norman Barker nbarker at RSINC.COM
Tue May 17 03:14:34 EDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU]On
Behalf Of Dejan Gambin
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2005 10:06 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Display progress bar while waiting for
data

Hi,

Is it possible to create some kind of progress bar while waiting for
raster data to be displayed. I have some raster data in GeoTIFF format
that some users with a slow connection must wait for. I am wondering if
I can show them a progress bar indicating "estimated" time they have to
wait so they know and they can wait or cancel the process.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what is the best way to inform users?

thanks very much

dejan

Having been spending some time looking at the socket connection between a client and
Mapserver I don't think this is possible because the content-length attribute in the
http response isn't set, so when you read the data you read until an EOF exception.

It is only possible to show a busy icon, and the number of bytes currently downloaded, something
Firefox does when it downloads from MapServer to.

I will gladly be corrected though!

Norman Barker