MapScript with C#

Mike Saunt mikesaunt at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 17 11:16:26 EDT 2005

Hi All

I thought I'd send out an exploratory email with regards to MapScript in C#.
I'm a developer in the UK and having come from a commercial mapping
background mainly MapInfo with a bit of ESRI, Oracle etc thrown in. It is my
first exploration into Open Source Mapping and once having a version
compiled and running (with help from others on this list) I have found it
quite simple to set up and pass around from machine to machine i.e. No
massive sets of overheads with COM registration etc just a few dll's.

I have taken this step as I wanted to learn MapScript in an environment that
I am familiar with i.e. .NET. The only 'issue' comes down to the compilation
process and the building of SWIG interface. I have recieved some binaries
and source from different members of the group and this has been excellent
and has got me up and running.

I was wondering if anyone has plans to compile windows binaries and SWIG
Interfaces etc on a regular basis. If not then would anyone find it
beneficial if these were done for them?

My longer term plans are to develop on Linux with one of the flavours i.e.
Python, Perl or PHP but at present am not sure which will be best suited.

Regarding the three environments PHP, Perl or Python I was wondering about
the following:

Which environment is best supported with MapScript or are they all as good
as each other?

Am I correct in assuming that PHP MapScript is different to that of Perl /
Python and therefore the SWIG C# version?

Which environment best supports the creation of standard Web services (not
WMS / WMF but vanilla web services) ?

Are there many developers using MapServer and / or MapScript in the C#
environment? What have the experiences been like?

Are there many developers in the UK using MapServer and / or MapScript ?
What have the experiences been like with large datasets such as Mastermap
etc?

Apologies for the long email with so many questions but after having dipped
my toe in with MapServer I feel like jumping right in!

Many Thanks in advance
Mike