Undisguised e-mail addresses in mapserver archives

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at TAMU.EDU
Fri May 20 09:15:29 EDT 2005

The SOBER virus has made a comeback.  It's one of the many that raids an
affected Microsoft user's Outlook address book and starts forging e-mail
from oh, so many folks.  Ove the last 3 or so days, I've gotten bounce
notices from no fewer than 100 different messages I've supposedly
sent... from a Unix account that can receive, but not send, e-mail.  Oh,
and it's an account I usually don't publicize, becuase my main account
has better filter capabilities.

It'd be a reasonable idea to reconfigure the list to hide e-mail
addresses, but unlikely to significantly reduce your exposure in this
case, if you've e-mails more than, say, yourself.

The virus thing is really getting out of control again, and Microsoft
admins (and those of us who have to handle major campus network traffic,
and Unix domains, too) have to spend a lot of time cleaning up the cruft
as a result.

SO: While it's very possible that someone is harvesting this list's
traffic for launching spam, it's as likely... or more so... that someone
you correspond with has a compromised Windows system, likely unpatched,
and doesn't know they're the originator of thousands of spurious e-mail
operations a day.  In your name.

Regards,
Gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173