Mapscript Java API on Mac OS X

Rick Innis rick at INNIS.CA
Fri May 20 21:43:16 EDT 2005

Has anyone actually successfully built and run mapscript/java on Mac OS
X?

I can build it, with a little manipulation of the makefile
(substituting "-bundle" for "-shared" in the mapscript_so target, and
passing RUNPATHS='-liconv' on the command line to get around the error
"ld: ../../libmap.a(mapgd.o) illegal reference to symbol: _libiconv
defined in indirectly referenced dynamic library
/usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib")

However, when I run "make test" I get this exception:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
new_shapefileObj
         at edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapscriptJNI.new_shapefileObj(Native
Method)
         at
edu.umn.gis.mapscript.shapefileObj.<init>(shapefileObj.java:75)
         at DumpShp.main(DumpShp.java:40)

I'm at a loss to explain this - I know that the native code library is
being loaded, but it seems that it's not finding the symbols for the
function calls. I'd love to hear from anyone who might have any insight
into this.

        --Rick.