Clients vs. Environments

Lester Caine lester at LSCES.CO.UK
Sat May 21 02:40:04 EDT 2005

OK Guys and Gals

I have an environment that I am more than happy with, and am using to
provide systems that pay the bills. It is based around Apache2, PHP5 and
Firebird, and runs on Windows or Linux servers depending on the
customer. The main 'profitable area' is client management facility for
public offices (government/council/housing etc.) and we are 'treading
water' against the competition who offer Oracle or MSSQL based systems
in sites that do not have that sort of money ;)

*I* am looking for a Mapserver CLIENT that I can add to this environment
to provide access to map type information from within the framework I
already have working. Mapserver can provide the sorts of display I want,
and I can create the maps I need from a number of sources - some of
which are commercial, but for which the customers have already
contracted to use.

A number of alternative options have already been highlighted, and these
give more or less what I need to provide a user interface, but none are
'the answer'.

SO the question before I spend another week playing with more options on
doing this - between updates to my other systems. Are there any options
that I have missed that are not - limited to MySQL or other single
database requirements - do not support cross platform development - can
be used licence free - do not require an overcoat of non-GIS tools.

Here is the list so far:-

Original itasca demo interface - simple but limited - it works

MapBrowser - display functions similar to demo
           - no cursor or rubber band
( Nice as part of MapLab and useful for editing but more an environment
than a stand alone client )

Chameleon - another environment package? - not implemented locally

MapClient - Needs a bit more investigation, not got working fully yet

MapDesk - Useful for playing with map files but not a client

MapSurfer - Have not got a map to load yet :(

jBox - Performs reasonably, but put off by possible need to support Java
        Yes I know I don't need to build it, but I like to be able to!

GDV Client - Demo gives me everything I want except the coordinate display.

Mapbender - Client looks nice but currently buried in a MySQL only
environment

p.mapper - Looking good, but I need to get my test set in
Only thing I'm missing is the cross-hair but that is not a show stopper

Musmap - Requires a database I do not use to run

So as you can see I have been through quite a gammit of options -
missing from this list is all the editing tools I have also had a play with!

I'm going to spend some time over the weekend putting my test maps into
p.mapper, and trying to get at the Mapbender Client, but is there
anything major that I have missed and 'should really have a look at'.
This is only secondary to my main development work so I don't want to
spend too much more time 'sticking the pin in'! I need to hammer in a
nail and go with something :)

--
Lester Caine