MapServer 4.6.0-beta3 released

Ken Lord kenlord at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 31 18:17:58 EDT 2005

 I'm using ellipse or vector type symbols for the hatch, not pixmap, but
"TRANSPARANCY ALPHA" is set within my layer, which allows the blank parts of
the hatch to be seen through.
 Previously you also had to set transparent on in the outputformat or else
transparancy alpha within the layers failed. Going further back in time,
transparent on used to be set outside the outputformat block at the top of
the mapfile for the same effect.
 But I guess this is all moot since transparancy alpha works properly now
without transparent on in the outputformat. Hopefully our conversation will
point others in the right direction if they encountered the same issue.
 Cheers,
Ken
  On 5/31/05, Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca> wrote:

> Ken Lord wrote:
> >
> > My map has polygon features that are symbolized using three styles, a
> > solid fill style on the bottom, a style with an ellipse/vector symbol to
>
> > create a 'hatch' effect, and a cartoline style on top to give a nice
> > anti-aliased outline to the polygon. The background colour and
> > hatch pattern/colour are different in each class within the layer to
> > reflect dozens of combinations of primary, secondary, and
> > tertiary surficial geology types within that layer's dataset.
> >
> > Previously without transparent set to on, you couldnt see through the
> > 'blank' parts of the hatch styles to see the solid fill underneath.
> >
> > 'Transparent' may not be relevant or allowable for jpeg's, but before
> > 4.6b3, the setting had to be within outputformat to turn transparent on
> > for my symbolizations. Perhaps two unrelated systems were using the same
> > parameter.
> >

> Um... are your hatch patterns using pixmap symbols? Maybe you need to
> use "TRANSPARENCY ALPHA" in those layers?
> From the mapfile-reference.html:
>
> ---
> The "ALPHA" symbol directs the mapserver rendering code to honor the
> indexed or alpha transparency of pixmap symbols used to style a layer.
> This is only needed in the case of RGB output formats, and should be
> used only when necessary as it is expensive to render transparent pixmap
> symbols onto an RGB map image.
> ---
>

> > Perhaps the documentation just needs a note that transparent is not
> > allowable for jpeg's.
> >
> > It was definately working in 4.6beta2. I have beta2 and beta3 (and
> > older versions) installed in separate folders on our webserver, each
> > with all their associated dll's. To switch a website
> > between the versions I just have to point a virtual folder in the
> > website directory to the appropriate mapserver software folder.
> >

> It's always possible that someone changed something with respect to
> transparency handling and didn't document the change. If that's the case
> then hopefully they'll jump in and explain what they've changed.
>
> Daniel
> --
> Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
> DM Solutions Group http://www.dmsolutions.ca/