PHP/Perl/Python Mapscript comparison

Sean Gillies sgillies at FRII.COM
Wed Nov 2 16:00:26 EST 2005

On Nov 2, 2005, at 12:24 PM, Shanti wrote:

> I've read the discussion from January 2005 regarding
> advantages/disavantages in terms of features of using mapscript in
> python,
> perl, or php and have another concern that I'm hoping someone might
> address. I am trying to determine which scripting language would be
> the
> best for a large application that emphasizes the web interface, and
> could
> migrate to an ArcGIS environment if neccesary. I will be working
> with a
> PostgreSQL/PostGIS RMDS and the web-inteface will be extensive.
>
> Thanks so much for any advice,
> Shanti
>
> Pamela Pack
> Alternative Growth Futures Lab
> University of Colorado at Denver
> Phone: (303)492-8781

OK, that means you've probably already seen my take on this question.
There are pros and cons to each, and mostly it boils down to using
what you are familiar with.

Using PHP or Perl is going to limit your integration with ArcGIS,
while Python support is built in to ArcGIS. Of course, once you get
going with the open source stuff, you'll probably want to keep going
ahead at full speed instead rather than migrating to commercial web
mapping software ;)

However, since my last post on this subject, the confusion around
Python's plethora of web frameworks is clearing. The Django project
(used at the famous chicagocrime.org among other sires) has a lot of
the nice features and momentum that people love from Rails. I'd
recommend a look at that if you go the Python route. There is also
excellent Python and open source GIS support on the Front Range: me :)

cheers,
Sean

---
Sean Gillies