Performance enhancements...?

Sun Nov 6 11:33:21 EST 2005

Hi Eric,

I don't think there is a document on performance tuning. It gets
discussed here on the list quite frequently and may be someone should
write a document on the issues and trade offs. In most cases performance
tuning is very specific to you data and usage patterns, like:

Are you using vector or raster or both?
Are you trying to serve 1000s of hits or 100s of millions of hits per year?
Are you using gdal, postGIS, shapefiles, etc?
   - There was just a major thread on this on the list.
Do you have a performance problem at all scales or just some scales?
What OS are you running on, is the OS tuned to the requirements?

These are just some of the questions that come to mind of the top of my
head and each of these might have a small book written on them in the
abstract. Also the knowledge is distributed about the community based on
what expertise people have based on the problems they have had to solve
that are specific to there environment.

So, no easy answers in this area, just lots more questions :)

-Steve W.