Google maps projections..

Steve Young steve at SIERRACLUB.BC.CA
Tue Nov 8 15:51:44 EST 2005

Thanks Frank,

Upgrading to 4.6.1 fixed my tile problem.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Frank Warmerdam
Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2005 11:52 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Google maps projections..

On 11/6/05, Steve Young <steve at sierraclub.bc.ca> wrote:
> Google map's projection is Mercator, but uses lat long as units
> (rather than metres). I think there's something that Mapserver does
> with bounding boxes that other WMS don't do. I haven't successfully
> got a WMS overlaid correctly using my mapserver WMSs (3.6.1 and 4.0).
> I've got close using John Deck's method, but suffer tile alignment
> issues that don't affect other WMS servers.

Steve,

In the early days (ie. Up MapServer 4.2 or so) MapServer did not honour
non-square pixel requests.  It would basically adjust the extents of
the request to force the pixel size to be square.    This was fixed in
MapServer 4.4 (or perhaps 4.6?)

I don't have anything to add on the Google overlay business.

Best regards,
warmerdam at pobox.com