associating WFS or WCS to WMS services - how-to?

Jeroen Ticheler JEROEN.TICHELER at FAO.ORG
Wed Nov 9 07:19:33 EST 2005

Hi!
We are trying to find the (most suitable) way of associating a WFS or
a WCS to an existing WMS service. The purpose of this is that we can
use WMS to display the interactive maps while we use the WFS/WCS to
extract data from the server and make it available to the user as
GML, shapefile, GeoTIFF etc... to be downloaded from an FTP or
directly for local use.

The problems we have are two-fold:
1- What is the best location in a Capabilities document to do this?
We want our client application to know of the existence of the WFS or
WCS service.
	What we think as best candidates are:

	- the DataURL element

(definition: A server may use DataURL to offer a link to the
underlying data represented by a particular layer. The
enclosed Format element indicates the file format MIME type of the
data file.)

	- or the FeatureListURL element

(definition: A server may use a <FeatureListURL> element to point to
a list of the features represented in a Layer.
FeatureListURL is not inherited by child layers. The enclosed Format
element indicates the file format MIME
type of the feature list.)

2- If we use one of these, we think of putting in the link to the
service and a suitable MIME type. We have seen the following MIME
types used for WMS and WFS getCapabilities requests, but are not sure
they are standard and also we didn't find any reference to a similar
WCS MIME type. What to do???

We found:

	application/vnd.ogc.wms_xml

and

	application/vnd.ogc.wfs_xml

	- Should we use these MIME types to indicate the URL points to a WMS
or WFS getCapabilities?
	- Should we assume we can use 	application/vnd.ogc.wcs_xml	for a WCS
getCapabilities MIME type!?

We have not found any of the application/vnd.ogc MIME type registered
at http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/  What should be our
conclusion on that?

Thanks in advance!
Ciao,