Can't install MapServer

Fri Nov 11 10:29:21 EST 2005

Alejandro Mejia Evertsz wrote:
> I'm a newbie on this unix stuff, but I know a little bit about ports, so
> I tried installing MapServer using ports, but it failed, so I decided to
> install it manually.
> When I do the ./configure I get this error:
>
> configure: error: Could not find gd.h or libgd.a/libgd.so in
> /usr/local.  Make sure GD 2.0.16 or higher is compiled before calling
> configure. You may also get this error if you didn't specify the
> appropriate location for one of GD's dependencies (freetype, libpng,
> libjpeg or libiconv).
>
> But I know I have GD installed, and it's higher than the one requiered:
>
> # pkg_info | grep gd
> *gd-2.0.33_3,1       A graphics library for fast creation of images
> *gdal-1.2.1_2        A translator library for raster geospatial data formats
> php5-gd-5.0.5_1     The gd shared extension for php
> I don't know what to do next...
> Can somebody help me?

It is installed at /usr not /usr/local so when you do something like:

./configure \
   --with-httpd=/usr/sbin/apache \
   --with-proj=/opt/mapserver \
   --with-gd=/opt/mapserver \
   --with-freetype=/opt/mapserver \
   --with-postgis \
   --with-php=../php-4.3.4 \
   --without-tiff \
   --enable-runpath \
   --without-xpm \

but replace /opt/mapserver with the path that is appropriate for your
system, eg: --with-gd=/usr
and you probably do not want --enable-runpath unless you are using
strange directories like I do above and you know what that does :)

-Steve W.