Hardware for serving lots of rasters

Matthew Haines matthew at PROPERTYRESEARCHPARTNERS.COM
Mon Nov 21 07:46:51 EST 2005

If you're just serving precached tiles, I recommend buying the cheapest
hardware you can lay your hands on and having two or three complete
sets.  Our web site (propertyshark.com) serves about 5,000 to 10,000
users per day.  We use celeron servers with non-raid IDE drives.  The
servers cost something like $345 in rackmount cases with no rails, no
drives, and no RAM.  We pop in IDE drives and 1 stick of RAM, and off we
go.  We have mirrored machines and using another machine to load balance
between them.  The load balancing is just for fault tolerance -- one
machine could easily handle the entire load.

Matthew