Slow Layer Display

Ethan Alpert ealpert at DIGITALGLOBE.COM
Mon Nov 21 18:29:47 EST 2005

The .qix file will only help when zooming in to smaller areas. Are you
really able to see all 4344711 records in one display? I doubt it which
is why I suggested MINSCALE/MAXSCALE. 7-8 minutes could be fast or slow
depends on your hardward it's a *LOT* of records and is more features
than I ever show at once.

When I have such large sets I only display them at scales that make
sense.

-e

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Arun K Chanumalla
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 4:15 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Slow Layer Display

Hi Ethan,

Thanks for a quick turn around.
We are not displaying any shapefiles within a scale
limit and hence there is no scale information in the
map files.we are just trying to display the shapefiles
as they are.

how do i generate a spatial index (.qix) for the shape
file..?
is there a documentation avilable for that on the
mapserver web site.

Do you think 7-8 mins of time is reasonable for the
shape file
with 4344711 records in the .dbf file.?

Thanks for trying to help me
Arun