Slow Layer Display

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at SHAW.CA
Tue Nov 22 02:01:24 EST 2005

On November 21, 2005 15:14, Arun K Chanumalla wrote:
> how do i generate a spatial index (.qix) for the shape
> file..?
> is there a documentation avilable for that on the
> mapserver web site.

Hi Arun,
You will need a tool called shptree.  It should have come with your MapServer
installation.  Where did you get MapServer from?  Are you running on linux or
windows using a pre-made package?

> Do you think 7-8 mins of time is reasonable for the
> shape file with 4344711 records in the .dbf file.?

I don't think so, but you need to plan ahead.  What type of data is it -
points, lines or polygons?  I'm assuming it is not point data, as I expect
that wouldn't take so long to draw.  If it is line or polygon data, then you
should create a lower 'resolution' version of the dataset for viewing at
different scales.  I haven't used it for a while, but I remember a perl
script called thin.pl that can help you do this.  I usually do this by
putting the shapefile into a PostGIS database and using the simplify()
function.  This reduces the complexity (number of points) of the shapes and
improves performance.

Let me know if you need more detail.  Anyone else using a good generalisation
method?

Tyler