MapServer Foundation - Open Letter

Jeff Hoffmann jeff at PROPERTYKEY.COM
Mon Nov 28 15:03:24 EST 2005

Steve Lime wrote:
> The name is not a done deal, merely a suggestion that some of the developer
> types came up with. We need a way to differentiate the UMN MapServer that
> does not imply legacy (e.g. MapServer Classic) since UMN MapServer is not
> going anywhere. The idea behind cheetah was that it represents speed and
> agility. Certainly other animals, plants, insects or objects might do a better
> job (and result in a better logo). Fire away...

If I got a vote, I'd vote for some kind of raptor, myself.  The obvious
things are there with their soaring/surveying lifestyle (like others
mentioned), but it also seems like an appropriate nod to the legacy of
development at UMN.  For one thing, there's a Raptor Center at the UMN
(http://www.raptor.cvm.umn.edu).  Also, I can't say I've ever seen a
cheetah roaming around the Twin Cities, but I see quite a few hawks and,
every once in a while, a bald eagle or two.

--
Jeff Hoffmann
jeff at propertykey.com