MapServer Foundation - Open Letter

Rick Levine Richard_D_Levine at RAYTHEON.COM
Mon Nov 28 16:05:52 EST 2005

The platypus rocks!  If there is an intelligent designer (cough) it shows
either a sense of humor or a need for rehab.  That said, uh, there is not
much mapping connection.

Rick

UMN MapServer Users List <MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU> wrote on
11/28/2005 02:56:54 PM:

> Three comments:
>
> Pro MapServer: Mapguide is dead! now onwards to slay ArcIMS!
>
> Con MapServer: I for one welcome our new Autodesk overlords.
>
> As for the naming: I've always been fond of the platypus.
>
> Cheers,
> Ken Lord
> Vancouver BC
>

> On 11/28/05, Ed McNierney <ed at topozone.com> wrote:
> > Well, both DM Solutions and Autodesk issued press releases today that
> > will be widely reprinted and reported in the press.  Each stated that
> > MapServer "will be called/renamed MapServer Cheetah".  That's going to
> > cause confusion if that's not correct, and will be confusing to undo.
> > If the name's not a done deal, it shouldn't have been announced.
> >
> > At least in Autodesk's release the UMN MapServer package isn't
mentioned
> > until the sixth paragraph, so maybe it won't be noticed.
> >
> >        - Ed

On