MapServer Foundation - Open Letter

Rick Levine Richard_D_Levine at RAYTHEON.COM
Mon Nov 28 17:26:40 EST 2005

UMN MapServer Users List <MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU> wrote on
11/28/2005 05:00:52 PM:

> Hmm... according to the images on the page you sent us, there is already
> Linux Platypus.

It was a proposed logo.  Tux the penguin got the job.  His wife lays eggs
too.  When he can get home from his busy marketing job.

> I think that the playful platypus would be a bad choice.  While the
animal
> is an endearing creature with its poison spurs and all, it LAYS EGGS and
we
> all know that the Mapserver developers certainly have not laid an egg
with
> Mapserver!

The fact that it is warm blooded, has fur, swims like a fish and walks on
land, has a bill like a bird and lays eggs is why it rocks.  It is all
things to all people, at least all people who try to classify creatures
into groups.  It is not stereotyping when you do it to animals.  If there
was a Familae Nerdicus, the platypus would be in it.