Mapserver Foundation

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 29 00:22:03 EST 2005

I have such deep respect for Steve, Yewondwossen, Howard, Daniel,
Perry, Frank, Tom, David, and Tyler that I am reluctant to express
negativity toward the Mapserver Foundation. But I am shocked by the
initial presentation of the Foundation.

The Mapserver Foundation should first and foremost be for Mapserver,
the Mapserver that we are all know and love, that's been around as
"Mapserver" for long enough that we call it Mapserver. Secondary
projects should be added when they have demonstrated their merit.

Knowing nothing more than what I have read in the last 30 minutes I am
left with the feeling that AutoDesk has bought in and taken over.
Mapserver is a proven application with a long track record. Mapserver
Enterprise? Never heard of it. Yet it's getting top billing, and
everybody is scrambling to pick a new name for our beloved Mapserver.

I'd have envisioned a Mapserver Foundation that could server as an
umbrella for related projects like GDAL, Proj, PostGIS, GRASS, etc.
But it reads more like some AutoDesk initiative which has allowed it's
little half-brother to play on the team.

Sorry to come down on you guys. Maybe I'm just seeing it wrong and you
can cast it in a different light.

Regards,
Rich
--