MS Foundation web presence question

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Tue Nov 29 09:42:25 EST 2005

This won't be confusing at all.

Now there is a proprietary product called 'MapServer Studio', with the
endorsement of the MapServer Foundation, that is closed-source and
doesn't work with the product currently know as MapServer....

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Paul Spencer
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 8:36 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] MS Foundation web presence question

Charlton,

The MapServer Enterprise download is provided by Autodesk and was
previously known as Tux.  MSE comprises two parts:

* MSE server - this is a long running server process.  There is one
*site* server and zero or more support servers.  The server stores
configuration files (in XML!!!) and has all the logic to turn
requests into maps etc.

* MSE WebExtensions - this is the web part of the server and is
designed to be deployed in front of a corporate firewall etc.  It
exposes http access to the site server (and support servers) and has
a scripting interface in either PHP, Java or .NET ...

MapServer Studio is a desktop app that provides a way to configure
the MSE server via the WebExtensions tier.  I believe the plan is for
Autodesk to keep this as a proprietary/commercial product because it
embeds AutoCAD binaries that are not being considered for open source
release.  It is also bound to Windows only.

MapServer Studio will only work with MSE.

I believe there is an intention to develop a web-based open source
tool with similar capabilities as Studio (or at least the
capabilities necessary to configure the server with data and style
it), and probably also some command line tools for loading data into
the server and possibly moving MAP files to/from the MSE environment
(they have a different set of features for styling/labeling that
could make this tricky, but it should be possible to have a
rudimentary import/export).

Cheers

Paul