Raster Quality

Norman Barker nbarker at RSINC.COM
Tue Nov 29 11:05:42 EST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU]On Behalf Of Peter Kingsbury
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 4:01 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Raster Quality

Hello all,

I'm having some problems with a DEM I'm putting up on a site. I have a high-quality 32 bit TIFF, and a lower-quality 8-bit TIFF. On the mapserver I'm displaying the site (using Chameleon), the application renders the TIFF with a seemingly lower quality; some of the pixel precision seems lost. It almost looks like Chameleon/MS4W is dithering the image down to 8 bits before sending the image to the browser.

I have the output format set to PNG24, however, is there a specific way to prevent color loss?

Best regards,
- Peter
[Norman Barker]

I think you have to put

PROCESSING "SCALE=AUTO" as a layer directive on your raster, for example

 LAYER
  NAME mydata
  TYPE RASTER
  STATUS ON