MapServer Foundation thoughts and reactions

Fischer, Brian bfischer at HOUSTONENGINEERINGINC.COM
Tue Nov 29 13:05:22 EST 2005

I have the utmost respect for the original MTSC and developers of
MapServer.  I also feel they are looking out for the best interest of
the longevity of MapServer and I do feel the idea of the foundation is a
good thing, but with that said I also feel some concerns.

As an individual attempting to offer MapServer consulting services for a
private business (which is an uphill battle the way it is), I also share
some of the same concerns others have expressed on the list over the
past day.  I feel it is important to let share my concerns with the MTSC
and community.

The main concern I have is the re-branding and naming of the different
software products in the MapServer Foundation.  How about calling the
foundation something not tied to either name like "web mapping
foundation" and let MapServer keep it's name?  I think the MTSC is
giving up the MapServer name to easy to Autodesk.  When I think ahead
about giving a presentation or trying to sell an "original" MapServer
solution to a potential client, I think it is going to be a challenge
and uphill battle trying to explain the difference in software names and
why I am using one over the other.  I also agree that it makes the
"original" MapServer sound like it may not work as an enterprise
solution when anybody that has worked with MapServer knows that is not
the case.  Try explaining that to a client that has not followed
MapServer for the past 5 years and knows little our nothing about the
software.

I also agree with Puneet that something needs to be done to reassure the
original MapServer community that this isn't an exploit by Autodesk to
simply gain market share.  (Why haven't we seen anyone respond from
Autodesk, other than their press release that already makes mentions
that they are coming out with a commercial version?) I personally would
like to see a list of questions compiled with concerns that have been
brought up and then answered by the MTSC.  Hopefully this would reassure
me as a user and business consultant that this is the best software
arena for me to pursue offering services.

Respectfully,
Brian

Brian Fischer
Houston Engineering, Inc.