MapServer Foundation thoughts and reactions

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Nov 29 13:32:29 EST 2005

On 11/29/05, Fischer, Brian <bfischer at houstonengineeringinc.com> wrote:
> I have the utmost respect for the original MTSC and developers of
> MapServer.  I also feel they are looking out for the best interest of
> the longevity of MapServer and I do feel the idea of the foundation is a
> good thing, but with that said I also feel some concerns.

Brian,

I appreciate that.  While there can be legitimate criticism of how
those of us under the NDA have handled things I think it is important
to understand that we all, even the folks at Autodesk, have been
operating in good faith. One of the thing that has distinguished
the MapServer (and open source geospatial community in general)
from some other open source projects is the relatively collegial and
positive atmosphere.

> As an individual attempting to offer MapServer consulting services for a
> private business (which is an uphill battle the way it is), I also share
> some of the same concerns others have expressed on the list over the
> past day.  I feel it is important to let share my concerns with the MTSC
> and community.
>
> The main concern I have is the re-branding and naming of the different
> software products in the MapServer Foundation.  How about calling the
> foundation something not tied to either name like "web mapping
> foundation" and let MapServer keep it's name?

This was considered.  I for one advocated for the "MapServer" name in
the foundation and on both products to keep the most leverage out of the
announcement (amoung other reasons).  Other ideas were along the
lines of "Open Source Geospatial Foundation" or "Open Source Web
Mapping Foundation".   Note that the foundation membership can still
change the name, though there might be some loss of name continuity.

> I think the MTSC is
> giving up the MapServer name to easy to Autodesk.  When I think ahead
> about giving a presentation or trying to sell an "original" MapServer
> solution to a potential client, I think it is going to be a challenge
> and uphill battle trying to explain the difference in software names and
> why I am using one over the other.  I also agree that it makes the
> "original" MapServer sound like it may not work as an enterprise
> solution when anybody that has worked with MapServer knows that is not
> the case.  Try explaining that to a client that has not followed
> MapServer for the past 5 years and knows little our nothing about the
> software.

What can we do to alleviate this problem without telling the MapServer
Enterprise folks what they are "allowed" to call their product (which we
likely have no right to do).

> I also agree with Puneet that something needs to be done to reassure the
> original MapServer community that this isn't an exploit by Autodesk to
> simply gain market share.

This is why they brought in various core folks to hammer out details,
and publish the open letter.  Beyond that at think the best way to make
sure the foundation isn't "exploited by Autodesk" is to join and speak up
on how things ought to be run.

> (Why haven't we seen anyone respond from
> Autodesk, other than their press release that already makes mentions
> that they are coming out with a commercial version?)

I see Gary Lang, and I think one other autodesk staff member has
responded on the foundation discuss list.  I doubt many of them are
members of this list.

>  I personally would
> like to see a list of questions compiled with concerns that have been
> brought up and then answered by the MTSC.

Note that we didn't act as the MTSC previously.  Obviously we
lacked Sean, and also we weren't making "decisions" in an open
fashion according to the MTSC charter.  But most of the MTSC was
involved because we have a stake, and because were were seen as
having some respect in the community.

OK, I'm out on the road for 5 more hours, and then hopefully I can
speak some more.

Best regards,