MapServer Foundation thoughts and reactions

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at EC.GC.CA
Tue Nov 29 13:53:40 EST 2005

> > I think the MTSC is
> > giving up the MapServer name to easy to Autodesk.  When I
> think ahead
> > about giving a presentation or trying to sell an "original"
> MapServer
> > solution to a potential client, I think it is going to be a
> challenge
> > and uphill battle trying to explain the difference in
> software names
> > and why I am using one over the other.  I also agree that
> it makes the
> > "original" MapServer sound like it may not work as an enterprise
> > solution when anybody that has worked with MapServer knows
> that is not
> > the case.  Try explaining that to a client that has not followed
> > MapServer for the past 5 years and knows little our nothing
> about the
> > software.
>
> What can we do to alleviate this problem without telling the
> MapServer Enterprise folks what they are "allowed" to call
> their product (which we likely have no right to do).

Can we not just call MapServer, well, MapServer (I was going to say
'mapache' but that would be too representative of Apache)?  The
Enterprise, Pro, whatever uses MapServer can call itself whatever it
wants (i.e. ms4w, etc.).

..Tom