current OS license

Lester Caine lester at LSCES.CO.UK
Tue Nov 29 14:05:41 EST 2005

Charlton Purvis wrote:

> Hi, folks:
>
> Although there continues to be an open source spirit surrounding the code
> amid the launch of a MS Foundation, I'd like to ask for clarification re.
> the license of the MS code as it stands now.
>
> If for whatever reason a company like Autodesk (or I guess it would have to
> be the Foundation) wanted to slap some kind of non-open source license on
> the code, is it true that the current code we call MapServer in its current
> state will always remain covered under the license below?  Basically I'm
> trying to make sure that a shop can't somehow repossess something that was
> originally OS thus preventing folks from using it like it's being used now.

Borland tried it with Interbase, but Firebird is now freely available
and there is not a lot Borland can now do about it ;)
I am sure Autocad have a 'hidden agenda' but as long as there are free
versions of what ever is needed to provide a working system then there
will not be a problem. Anything commercial will have to be worth the
money to make any sales :)

p.s. I am not seeing my posts to the list so if you get this Charlton
and it's not on the list please can you forward it :(

--
Lester Caine