epiphany about the idea of the Foundation

Gary Watry watry at COAPS.FSU.EDU
Tue Nov 29 14:29:59 EST 2005

Being as this is a non-profit open source Foundation, I hope that we will
ask the other commercial Internet map software companies to join the
Foundation in the same manner as AutoDesk.

This should include ESRI, Integraph, Microstation, MapInfo, DeLorme, etc etc

Anyone who has a vested interest in Internet Mapping should be asked to
contribute and participate. If they opt not to - fine - but then they are on
record for choosing not to play

But then the contributors could insure their other products were compatible
with MapServer(OS) and that it was compatible with their products.

The two fold benefit to this is
1. the foundation will not be concieved as a partner to Autodesk
2. Autodesk or no other Commercial company will control the Foundation

Gary L. Watry

GIS Coordinator
Center for Ocean-Atmospheric Prediction Studies
FSU / COAPS
Johnson Building, RM 215
2035 East Paul Dirac Drive
Tallahassee, Florida 32306-2840