epiphany about the idea of the Foundation

Gary Lang gary.lang at AUTODESK.COM
Tue Nov 29 17:56:46 EST 2005

Allan,

A couple of points.

1) The main difference here may be that OpenMap started life as a
government-sponsored open source project, not a commercial project by a
public software company. You are probably correct in saying that our
lawyers are careful.

2) The foundation was created two weeks ago, and is incorporated in
Delaware.

We thought, and I'm sure if folks think we made a mistake they'll tell
us, that announcing this and having no code available for download would
raise lots of criticism. Instead we are getting all kinds of people
downloading and playing with the software, even though the official
download site won't go up until January.

Gary