epiphany about the idea of the Foundation

Gary Lang gary.lang at AUTODESK.COM
Tue Nov 29 18:35:02 EST 2005

I would refer people back to Steve's short comment yesterday. One might
also view that MapServer got the Autodesk brand name associated with it
yesterday. To me, it seems like both parties benefited. This is usually
a sign of a good deal.

I'm not disagreeing with the entire community, which is not monolithic,
but simply expressing my opinion that phrases like "walking away with
the brand" when talking about - in addition to naming a code base - a
foundation to be mostly run by _MapServer_ community members and leaders
like the initial creator of _MapServer_, called "_MapServer_ Foundation"
seems a bit overstated to me.

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Fawcett, David [mailto:David.Fawcett at state.mn.us]
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 3:14 PM
To: Gary Lang; MAPSERVER-USERS at lists.umn.edu
Subject: RE: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] epiphany about the idea of the
Foundation

Some of us woke up on Monday and found that the MapServer name and brand
had been given to an Autodesk product.  And that the true MapServer
product has been given a modifier of 'Cheetah'.

I am not concerned that Autodesk is joining the community, I just think
that giving MapGuide the brand of MapServer is confusing and greatly
devalues the brand that the MapServer product and community has greatly
earned.

As new companies join the foundation, will we get MapServerIMS,
MapServerIMS Enterprise, MapServerGeomedia, MapServerMS,
MapServerMapXtreme, MapServerStreetAtlas?  What is left of the MapServer
brand then?

In your alternative scenario, you say that we would have woken up to a
competitor.  At least that competitor wouldn't have walked away with the
brand.

I also don't think that labeling feedback from the MapServer Community
as 'mostly FUD' really demonstrates your willingness to 'learn from the
community'.

David.