MapServer Foundation - Open Letter

Fischer, Brian bfischer at HOUSTONENGINEERINGINC.COM
Wed Nov 30 11:21:59 EST 2005

I agree with Chip's 1. and 2.  This makes sense and will be the least
confusing to the user base and community.  It also does not imply one
project is better then the other.

Brian Fischer
Houston Engineering, Inc.
Maple Grove, MN
(763) 493-4522

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Chip Taylor
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 10:09 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] MapServer Foundation - Open Letter

My input (and this needs to be done before the concrete sets on all
this:

1. Change the name of the Foundation to something less product-pointed
and
more in keeping with the purpose, such as Foundation for Open Source Web
Mapping

2. Add the Foundation moniker to the existing names for the two code
bases:
     FOSWM Mapserver
     FOSWM MapGuide

3. Specify in the charter that no code from any FOSWM may be included in
commercial product.

My input (FWIW),
  Chip "Acronym Man" Taylor
  Prepared Response, Inc.