toward reconciliation

P Kishor mapserver at EIDESIS.ORG
Wed Nov 30 11:14:13 EST 2005

This is a wonderful note from Gary. Kudos to you.

Gary Lang wrote:
> OK. So here's a sincere call for input.

..

> Now let's assume we change the name back to MapGuide. Why would I now
> want to cripple any hope of adoption by anybody by putting it in a
> foundation (that I helped name) that highlights one map serving product
> over another?

Good point. Just as we are concerned about dilution of the MapServer
name, so should you be of the dilution of your product's name.
However, this time, by all of us working together, we can perhaps come
up with a happy solution.

One way out is to rename the foundation to a non-product specific
name, so your product can co-exist under that umbrella along with
MapServer. Another way is to rename your product as an adjunct to
MapServer. Which segues beautifully into the big question --

how does Autodesk's product really fit vis a vis MapServer?

If it does whatever MapServer does then there is little distinction
anyway. It certainly runs on a lot fewer platforms than MapServer.

How does it compare with MapServer + PostGIS (where are you, you good
folks from Refractions?)? In my view, MapServer+PostGIS is the real
enterprise class product (did I already say that? yes, several times).
SQLite is a great product, and I have been using it for a few years
now, am a member of its list, etc. But, SQLite does not compare with
PostGres, and Richard Hipp would be the first one to admit that.

Can your code-base or technical concepts be folded into what is
current MapServer? Can you contribute an enhancement, such as
MapStudio being to MapServer what ArcIMS Author/Manager are to ArcIMS?

Anyway, thanks for understanding our position. That makes you a good
guy in my book.

..