MapServer Foundation - Open Letter

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Nov 30 11:44:07 EST 2005

On 11/30/05, Bill Binko <bill at binko.net> wrote:
> When I first read the announcement about the foundation, I had two
> distinct reactions.  First, I sent a note to Frank, who I have found best
> represent the "soul" of the OpenGIS community.  I asked him why I so many
> people I respected (including danmo, and hobu, among others) were going
> along with what looked like a land-grab by a company that has historically
> been less-than-friendly to open source and open standards.  (I haven't
> gotten a response, but he's been busy and I feel its appropriate that I
> not wait any longer to put in my two cents.)

Bill,

Sorry I haven't responded.  Having been off-the-net for a critical period
and then buried in the maelstrom of discussion on the announcement it
has been hard to keep track of my outstanding questions.

> The lack of involvement cannot be fixed: it can only be acknowledged and
> learned from.  I think Gary has acknowledged it from Autodesk's
> standpoint, and I'm sure others will admit that Ed's approach ("the third
> option") would have been better.

I certainly agree with this.  I would stress that now is an excellent time
for involvement!   Especially I again encourage folks to join the foundation
discuss mailing list, and to participate on discussions of foundation mission,
governance mechanisms and so forth.

> I was surprised to read that Frank and Dan were both involved in moving
> _towards_ the Mapserver Enterprise naming.  It is one of very few mistakes
> I've seen from them, and I suppose they were due: however, it is a
> mistake, nonetheless.  The good news is that it is a fixable mistake.

I am certainly partly responsible for the enterprise name.

> Frank, you have one of the most authoritative voices in this community,
> and I'm sure Autodesk has considered your position in choosing this naming
> path.  I think they would do so again, if you were to suggest that the
> damage being done to the community by this error will outwiegh any
> branding benefits they may gain.

I think Gary is reconsidering.

BTW, for those who don't like the Cheetah name, I feel bad now for
having "poo pooed" DaveM's suggestion that we have a contest to
name our MapServer.  I thought thought it better to just pick a name
and stick with it.

In IRC Allan Doyle pointed to this article as an example of
a graceful name change:

  http://www.osm.org/site/story/copy_of_11212005namechange/

Best regards,