MapServer Foundation - Open Letter

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Nov 30 11:57:29 EST 2005

On 11/30/05, Chip Taylor <work at xwb.com> wrote:
> My input (and this needs to be done before the concrete sets on all this:
>
> 1. Change the name of the Foundation to something less product-pointed and
> more in keeping with the purpose, such as Foundation for Open Source Web
> Mapping

Chip,

I am not adverse to renaming the foundation.  I personally liked
the idea of "Open Source Geospatial Foundation" though some
thought that too similar to the Open Geospatial Consortium.

> 2. Add the Foundation moniker to the existing names for the two code bases:
>      FOSWM Mapserver
>      FOSWM MapGuide

I would rather swallow rusty nails rather than call any product I
worked on FOSWM something.   OK, rusty nails are a bad example
as I like "Rusty Nail" now and then.  How about, "I would rather
chew broken glass".

> 3. Specify in the charter that no code from any FOSWM may be included in a
> commercial product.

This is a complete non-starter.  MapServer Cheetah is already embedded
in many commercial products.   Perhaps the charter might say that the
foundation is only willing to work with projects whose code is offered under
an Open Source Institute approved license.

The license is the guarantee to those who build on the software that they
never need to be the victim of corporations (or individuals) changing direction
and pulling the rug out from under them.

PS. I would love to see foundation charter and naming
issues discussed on the foundation discuss list.

Best regards,