Foundation ... what's about: RELAX!

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at EC.GC.CA
Wed Nov 30 12:29:57 EST 2005

> hi guys (did not remark any girls :-( ...)
>
> what's about having a cool beer and just relax and see what
> happens in
> the next few month. if MSE is a good product, people will use it, if
> not, people will not use it. so what? and I am sure mapserver will
> profit, one way or the other. and can it really get better
> then perfect
> as it is already? :-)
>
> and who cares about the name. we sell solutions, not names. to us it
> does not matter if it is called arcims, mapxtreme or
> mapserver. it has
> to work.

My (personal) thoughts.

I'll go for a cool beer (or three) for sure, but what's in a name?
Alot.  "Enterprise" screams "better", for whatever reason.  I agree with
Frank when he mentioned that if a name matters so much to a decision of
choosing software, they have issues.  However, this does happen.

So, for example, everyone in an org jumps on "enterprise" software and
ditches trusty MapServer.  The "enterprise" edition doesn't compare to
MapServer w.r.t. OGC support.  You try to convince them to go to
MapServer proper again for the OGC stuff, the response is "why, this is
the enterprise edition and is better".

So, while MSE may be different than MapServer, it's not better, or worse
for that matter.  Just different.  So let's choose a name representative
of that.

..Tom