MapServer and Foundation naming

Ken Lord kenlord at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 30 16:00:48 EST 2005

Ok,  enough with the suffixes.

How about we go about the suggested naming in the other direction, one
that respects the history of MapServer, and allows Autodesk to nab the
branding they are after ...

Foundation MapServer

Autodesk MapServer

... It eliminates the 'enterprise' fiasco, and in my opinion
Foundation MapServer sounds pretty significant.  Those of you who are
Autodesk fans will hopefully agree that Autodesk MapServer has its own
sounds of significance, without making it appear to be the better
version by tacking on 'enterprise' ... and ties well into the existing
Autodesk MapGuide name. It also tells you right away that you are not
necessarily using the historic MapServer.

For the name of the foundation, I like something closer to 'Web
Mapping Foundation' ... something that can draw in other open source
mapping projects, and won't scare off other big names that may
consider contributing one day ... something that will let us slay ...
errr... 'reverse takeover' the ArcIMS world oneday hehe.

Now, back on the Mascot issue.  I'm still fond of the cuddly Platypus.
 ... webbed feet ... world wide web ... lots of connections there.

Cheers,
Ken Lord
Vancouver BC