MapServer and Foundation naming

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at NANAIMO.CA
Wed Nov 30 17:05:38 EST 2005

P Kishor Wrote:
> I still don't understand why no one is talking about MapServer +
PostGIS.
> That is about as enterprise as one's gonna get.

Is that a red herring?  I don't like seafood, but I guess I'll bite :)

That combination does not address a number of issues that are commonly
addressed by commercial solutions that are touted as "enterprise".
Authentication and authorization (feature or layer level, not
application level), geoprocessing, data update, SOA, and GUI
capabilities are a few that come to mind and rank among the primary
reasons I am not currently using Mapserver.  I don't dispute that the
Mapserver/PostGIS combination is an enterprise-quality application, but
it certainly does not meet all enterprise needs.

Not that I get a vote, but I really liked your proposal for the projects
under Mapserver foundation (WAS, SAS, etc).

Jason