epiphany, once again

Mike Davis mike.and.kerry at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 30 23:58:10 EST 2005

Apologies for replying to my own post.

While the Mapserver name may be somewhat ambiguous to many who are not
involved with web mapping, it is a very robust application which I
consider to be, pound for pound, the most flexible and powerful
internet map server available.  While some may lament its lack of
visibility or status in mainstream OSS circles, I only have to watch
the involuntary tick on the faces of ESRI reps when the discussion
turns to our web mapping client to know that Mapserver is making an
impact.

I know plenty of GIS types who dabble in ArcIMS et al without having
the slightest idea how it works.  Mapserver is all at once accessible
and complex.  It enables development of a quick and dirty mapping
site, while tempting the developer with the possibilities that lay
within.

I have the greatest respect for Autodesk (v.12 not withstanding) and
am extremely happy with the progress in the latest version of AutoCAD
Map.  I know I speak for a few members of the Mapserver community whey
I say welcome, but get ready to earn your place here.

The Mapserver "brand", ambiguous as it may be, is sacred to many and
should not be bandied about without care.  As far as I am concerned
MapGuide doesn't get a free pass.  Donate code, provide support, be
active members of the community.  Allow the community to integrate the
useful bits of MapGuide into Mapserver and vice versa (despite the
drama, Konqueror and Safari kind of works).

Please, please, please, don't go through with the naming convention.
Mapserver Cheetah?  Worst name ever.
Mapserver Enterprise?  Just plain wrong.

-Mike