GDAL/OGR 1.3.1 Released

Tamas Szekeres szekeres.tamas at FREEMAIL.HU
Thu Oct 6 10:36:27 EDT 2005

Frank,

Thank you for the release. However in order to compile SWIG with C# some
modifications should be made in the makefile and some typemaps should be
added.

Tamas

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 15:32:51 -0400, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at POBOX.COM>
wrote:

>Folks,
>
>I am pleased to announce the release of GDAL/OGR 1.3.1.  This is mostly a
>bug fix release, though there are a few new and improved drivers.
>
>Source:
>  http://www.gdal.org/dl/gdal-1.3.1.tar.gz
>  http://www.gdal.org/dl/gdal131.zip
>
>Docs / Web site:
>  http://www.gdal.org/dl/gdal131doc.zip
>
>Test Suite:
>  http://www.gdal.org/dl/gdalautotest-1.3.1.tar.gz
>
>The major news with this release is that the "Next Generation" Perl,
Python
>and Ruby bindings are now considered ready to use, though I'm sure there
will
>be some additional improvements to them in the coming months.  I would
like to
>give out a special thank you to Ari Jolma (perl), Charlie Savage (Ruby),
>Kevin Ruland (Python + overall NG work) and Howard Butler who have put in
>huge amount of effort on these bindings.  If we can get champions for
Java,

warmerdam at pobox.com
>light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
>and watch the world go round - Rush    | Geospatial Programmer for Rent
>

>GDAL 1.3.1 - Overview of Changes
>--------------------------------
>
>Next Generation SWIG Wrappers (GDAL and OGR):
> - Python, Perl and Ruby bindings considered to be ready to use.
> - C#, Java, PHP are at best initial prototypes.
> - Added configure options for most NG options.
>
>PCRaster Driver:
> - libcsf is now included as part of GDAL.
> - PCRaster enabled by default on win32.
> - --with-pcraster=internal option now supported on unix (but not yet
default)

>VSI Virtualization:
> - The "large file API" (VSI*L) has been re-engineered to allow installing
>   additional file handlers at runtime.
> - Added "in memory" VSI handler so that now any driver using VSI*L
>   functions for data access can operate on in-memory files.
> - PNG, JPEG and GeoTIFF drivers upgraded to work with in-memory support.
>
>Raster Attribute Tables:
> - Implemented new Raster Attribute Tables support.  See the
>   GDALRasterAttributeTable class for more information.
>
>Erdas Imagine Overviews:
> - Erdas Imagine driver upgraded to support building internal overviews.
> - Generic overview handler updated to support overviews in Erdas Imagine
>   format for any file format.  Set USE_RRD config option to YES to
enable.

>gdalwarp:
> - Added proper support for "unified source nodata", so the -srcnodata
>   switch works well.
>
>RIK Driver:
> - New Swedish format driver implemented by Daniel Wallner.
>
>JPEG Driver:
> - Substantial improvements to EXIF support.
>
>MrSID Driver:
> - Updated with proper JPEG2000 support as JP2MRSID driver, including
>   encoding with ESDK.
> - Updated to support MrSID Version 5.x SDKs.
>
>PNG Driver:
> - Fixed serious bugs with 16bit file support.
> - Added NODATA_VALUES to identify RGB sets that indicate a nodata pixel.
>

>OGR 1.3.1 - Overview of Changes
>-------------------------------
>
>Reference Counting:
> - OGRSpatialReference and OGRFeatureDefn now honour reference counting
>   semantics.
> - Note that, especially for the OGRFeatureDefn, it is now critical that
>   all drivers be careful with reference counting.  Any OGR drivers not in
>   the core distribution will likely crash if not updated.
>
>ESRI Personal Geodatabase Driver:
> - New driver implemented for ESRI Personal Geodatabase (.mdb) files.
> - Uses ODBC, enabled by default on win32.
>
>ODBC Driver:
> - Updated to support binary fields.
> - Updated to support WKB geometry fields.
> - Updated to support DSN-less connections.
>
>S57 Driver:
> - Added support for Inland Waterways, and Additional Military Layers
profiles