history of web maps???

Gregory Yetman gyetman at CIESIN.COLUMBIA.EDU
Mon Oct 10 10:24:35 EDT 2005

Sashi,

I don't know much about the history of mapserver, I'm sure that others
on the list do. I've heard that the first web mapping application was in
1993, PARC by Xerox:

http://pubweb.parc.xerox.com/

I know that Canada put out it's first version of it's National Atlas
viewer in 1994, and that the first TIGER map service from the Census
Bureau was in 1995.

There was a flurry of questions about this back in 2002 because of a
patent challenge on web mapping, not sure what happened with that.
There's an article at:

http://www.gismonitor.com/news/newsletter/archive/040402.php

Are you only interested in interactive web mapping applications? I would
imagine that the first static web maps put up follow very closely the
introduction of images on the net.

Greg

Shashi Gireddy wrote:

>It was easy to find the history of cartography? but I am struggling to
>find the history of web-maps...
>
>I found that of MapQuest.... those guys used to deliver directions on
>a hard copy to all the gas stations... and these gas-stations use to
>distribute for free....... and it became mapquest in 1996 after 5
>years of research......
>
>anybody knows any more such storries.....plz help me find out. More
>over I  also want the history of Mapserver itself.. When did NASA
>funded UMN... where did NASA use this software...? Nasa has an
>application similar to google earth, did NASA use mapserver for this?
>
>Thank you,
>shashi.
>
>--
>Shashi Kiran Reddy. Gireddy,
>Graduate Assistant,
>CBER, University of Alabama.
>http://www.cs.ua.edu/shashi
>Cell: 205-239-6655

Gregory Yetman
Center for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN)
Columbia University
e-mail: gyetman (at) ciesin.columbia.edu
tel: (845) 365-8982