signature

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at CCGIS.DE
Thu Sep 1 06:25:39 EDT 2005

Leopold Schefcik (MULTIMEDIAPLAN.AT) wrote:
> hi list,
>
> how can I get a signature (e.g. for streets) in my map?
>
> best regards,
> Leopold

Probably you would want to use the label object to do that.
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc46/mapfile-reference.html#label

(There is also a German version to read up on:
http://www.umn-mapserver.de/doc44/mapfile-reference44.html#label)

Labels can be positioned automatically or explicitly. For street maps
ideally you have a line geometry with an attribute that contains the
text to display. The angle of the text can either be defined using an
explicit field specified in the LABELANGLEITEM parameter. If ANGLE is
set to AUTO MapServer will render the streetnames with the inclination
of the line feature. AUTO is valid for LINE layers only.

This is a snippet from a MAP file

[...]
    TYPE ANNOTATION
    CLASSITEM zvs_code

    LABELITEM label_text
    # choose one:
    # ANGLE [double]
    # ANGLE AUTO
    # LABELANGLEITEM label_rotation
    SYMBOLSCALE 2000

    CLASS
       NAME "BAB"
       EXPRESSION /1/
       MINSCALE 0
       MAXSCALE 15000
       LABEL
         TYPE TRUETYPE
         COLOR 0 0 0
         FONT "arialnarrow"
         POSITION AUTO  # depends on selection above
         PARTIALS FALSE
         FORCE TRUE
         MINDISTANCE -1
         SIZE 34