can not get tileindex working

Xin crazygecko at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 5 05:50:00 EDT 2005

Hi list,

I've searched the archives endlessly, and though there's been alot of posts
on this I still can't seem to get the hang of it.

I'm trying to index my shapefiles, as I've been told this will give it a
performance boost. All my data are all in one directory, and they're roughly
half a gig in size. It is operating rather slowly at the moment, taking a
few seconds to display all the layers.

This is how I initially tried to use tile index on my data:
ogrtindex *.shp tileindex.shp # to index all my shapefiles
in the map file, add below to every layer:
TILEINDEX "tileindex.shp,0" # and remove DATA tag

This doesn't work!

I've since read you have to group different types together into one index
file. i.e. all the POINTS in one, LINES in another etc. So you would have
say 4 tile index files, each corresponding to each type. Then would I use
these filenames, i.e. TILEINDEX "pointindex.shp". Is this the right way,
anyway to automated? And what are shptree used for?

I tried to use imaptools.com <http://imaptools.com>'s shp2tile, but the
library it depends on(shapelib) wouldn't compile.

One last question. What's qix and should I use it?

Thank you inadvance for your help.

Regards,
Xin