MapServer/etc on Solaris 10

Eduardo Patto Kanegae lists at WEBMAPIT.COM.BR
Wed Sep 7 22:02:40 EDT 2005

Hi folks,

I've seen some reviews at internet about the new SUN Solaris 10(which is download free) - some written by Sun and others were tech reviews and I confess I found Solaris 10 quite interesting despite never read about it before.

Has anyone tried this new sun system with MapServer and other freegis stuff?(gdal/ogr, grass, postgis, etc...etc...)
Or even a prior version?

What to say about Solaris 10 X Linux? is it really faster than Linux or is that true only when used over Sun hardware?

free gis packs(suchs as mapserver, gdal, grass, gmt...) can be compiled without troubles? Or does it depend directly how much ANSI C/C++ the program to be built is?

A bad side I can imagine is about technical support. Of course it would very easier to find Linux help on communities than Solaris or OpenSolaris communities - just a question of user base .

but at this moment I'm not worried about this and just trying to qualify reliability and power between Solaris and Linux over x86 plataform.

best regards.

Eduardo Patto Kanegae
http://www.webmapit.com.br