MySQL access and joins

Attila Csipa plists at PROMETHEUS.ORG.YU
Thu Sep 8 09:00:25 EDT 2005

On Thursday 08 September 2005 01:09, Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] wrote:
> Will simple MySQL tables work as the join table?  I believe --with-mygis
> will work on a non-sppatial DB

Yes, but this will work ONLY for template based queries (this is not a mygis
limitiation per se, MapServer has separate code for the template (or
mapscript) queries, and join functionality you might wish to use in a .MAP
file).

> Having said this, what is the state of affairs with mygis and MapServer?
> Can I use --with-mygis to connect to MySQL tables with point x/y

No, unless the tables are SFSQL compliant, but even in that case using
unencoded geometries is SLOW since mapserver has to fetch all geometries and
interpret them.