wms clients

Nate Reed nate at SEASTAR.JPL.NASA.GOV
Thu Sep 8 15:49:13 EDT 2005

I'm looking for a good open source web-based client to use with a web map
service that is implemented in MapServer.

My requirements:

- Graphical widgets for zoom/pan/layer selection
- Need to be able to add custom selections (time, discrete region, etc.)
- Animated time series
- Nice-to-have: continuous zoom and pan
- Access a map service in PHP MapScript or via WMS.
- Supports query by point for closest numerical values

I would prefer a JavaScript-based client but am curious: what's the most
approrpriate client for the job?  I have looked at Community MapBuilder
and ka-Map and they both look very nice, but I don't know if they can
easily be modified or adapted for my needs.  Also, I don't know if these
are production-ready clients.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate